Tuesday, August 17, 2010

OH, I’m sorry! I was busy getting ENGAGED...(!!)…and Published… (!!)


I apologize for no post Monday, I had great intentions.  HONESTLY guys I have planned the menu and blog posts for the entire week, but some things happened which detained me from cooking.
Yes I was surprised, yes its gorgeous, yes I am excited, yes I said yes, yes Dad is a lucky man!  See I had these plans to make oatmeal cinnamon pancakes on Sunday, but Dad had an engagement brunch planned so those didn’t happen… But next Sunday, I swear.
Guys, I don’t want you to worry.  I know what engagement means to many of you.  The two most evil words in the world:
No, I will not give up the heavy cream!  This is a food blog daggummit, not a wedding blog!  I’ll just eat a little less, or run more, or who cares you and I both know I’m not giving up french fries!  So never fear, the same old Whit is here, frying your food and using sticks of butter.
This is possibly one of the most exciting weeks ever, because over here at La Bouche we have some AMAZING news, other than the most amazing news of our engagement.  Amuse Bouche is now a featured publisher blog on foodbuzz.  YES WE ARE!  Guys, this is a big deal! We are thrilled. I shrieked out loud!  This means that you’ll be seeing some of their advertisements on the side of this blog.  And we will be featured on their community blog website.  Get used to foodbuzz, we love them over here!  Word on the street is that there will be a challenge in September between all 4000 of foodbuzz’ featured publishers to see who is the next food blog star, and you bet your tuckas we are IT!  I can’t wait to share this EPIC journey with you! 
Engaged and Published in 1 week. AMAZEBALLS!  Whew, it’s like I took an upper or something.  (Not that I would even know an example of an upper, mom…)  So seriously guys I have to talk to you about something that transcends engagements and publishment.

It’s cheddar cheese.  Slap me silly and call me sally, I FLOVE cheddar cheese!  I know you already know this, but don’t you tell the people you love that same silly phrase over and over again? I love you, Cheddar.  And I am not ashamed.
I saw this grand idea from my girl Martha (duh) about making the crust of a quiche hash-browns.  HOLY CANARSY.  Hash-brown crust? YEAS!  Once again, you know how I feel about carbs.  Hash-browns have been there for me on some rough days.  So, without further ado, one of the greatest ideas ever:
Broccoli and White Sharp Cheddar Quiche with a hashbrown crust. (I know it, I just rocked your world)
2 tablespoons butter, softened, plus more for pan
1 lb potatoes grated
12 large eggs
Coarse salt and ground pepper
½ cup milk
2 cups cheddar
2 cups chopped broccoli
Salt and Pepper


  Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Brush a 9-by-2 1/2-inch springform pan with butter. Line the    sides of the pan with strips of waxed paper (the same height as pan); brush paper once applied with butter.

Grate the potatoes and squeeze excess moisture from them. Mix in a bowl with butter, 1 egg, 1 teaspoon coarse salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Pat into bottom and up sides of prepared pan, using a moistened dry measuring cup. Place on a rimmed baking sheet; bake until set, 15 to 20 minutes.

In a large bowl, whisk milk, cheddar, 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper until well combined; whisk in 11 remaining eggs. Add the broccoli and make sure all is combined well. Bake until set, 45 to 50 minutes. Unmold quiche, and peel off waxed paper before serving.


I know it, it’s glorious. And easy, and GOOD. 

Stay tuned for a week chock full of amazing classics, important skills that everyone should learn, more fraternity dinners, and even a guest post from our Agent, Sarah.

Love,
Whit

5 comments:

  1. Congrats!!!! Love quiche :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meghan BartleyAugust 17, 2010

    AHHH WHIT!!! Congrats on the publishing!! And duh Congrats about the engagement, I just figured screaming in your ear over the telephone was enough craziness from me in a 3 day period. I'm so excited for you though!! You weren't kidding about one hell of a week!! LOVE YOU!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on publishing!!! The registering for cameras to record yourself while cooking is an absolute must now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're like the next generation Paula Deen (Except wayyy hotter)...Love it! I just read your philosophy and "about Whitney" pages - hilarious. I can literally hear your voice in my head while reading. Congrats on all the great things going on in your life right now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the engagement! And welcome to the foodbuzz.

    ReplyDelete