Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The Last Supper

I want a t-shirt that says 'gnocchi is for lovers'.  Or maybe just a picture of a gnome wheel-barreling gnocchi. 

Go ahead and tell me that's not a funny tshirt.  I'd clean the house wearing that.  I'd set that in my front yard, so that people who dared to cross my threshold knew that I was serious about my gnocchi.

I am sure you have heard, but Chicago is about to face it's its certain end with the impending snow that is headed our way like a black cloud.

On days like this, it is time to think about one's last meal.  And if I am goin' out, you better bet your sweatpanted ass, I am goin' out with carbs.

It is no secret how I feel about carbohydrate-rich foods.  I feel they are foods of the Lord.  Because how could it taste that good and not be holy?  It's like wine.  Jesus drank it. So should I. It's the holy thing to do.

Now Jesus, that man led by example.

So for your last meal - I send you on a quest.  A quest of fantastical proportions.

Carrot. Gnocchi.


CARROT GNOCCHI
 
1 pound carrots
1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
3 tablespoons butter
1 cup Parmesan cheese
6 teaspoons flour
2 large egg yolk
salt, pepper, and nutmeg to taste
2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. 
Peel and slice carrots. Boil until tender. Drain. 

 In a medium skillet, cook the onion in 1 tablespoon butter, over moderate heat, stirring until pale gold.

Add carrots, and cook for 5 minutes while stirring occasionally.

Transfer the carrots to a food processor, and puree until smooth. Transfer the puree to a bowl. 

Add 3 tablespoons of the cheese, the flour and egg yolk, and season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg; mix well. 

Bring a wide shallow saucepan of water to a boil and add 1 tablespoon salt. Prepare a bowl of ice cold water. Shape the carrot mixture into ovals, using two soup spoons, scooping a portion between the spoons. 

Slide a few of the gnocchi ( do not crowd the pan) at the time into the boiling water and cook just until they rise to the surface, about a minute or less.
When the gnocchi are done, transfer to the cold water.
Lightly butter a baking dish large enough to hold the gnocchi in a layer without crowding.
Drain the gnocchi and arrange them in the prepared baking baking dish.
Sprinkle with remaining cheese and butter. Bake for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with chives and serve at once. 

 May you all, enjoy your last supper, and this storm burdens our fearful nation.

AKA. May you get drunk and be glad that you're probably not going into the office tomorrow.  To you I say, Mazel Tov!

Love,

Whit

2 comments:

  1. Now those look wonderful! I never even thought mix it with carrots, and it is great idea especially for kids! Awesome photos!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. carrot gnocchi!!! i LOVE gnocchi. carrot gnocchi would be a dream. in fact you could go avant garde and make that a dessert.

    ReplyDelete