Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Belly Ache Peach Cake


It has been 14 years, I am certain, since I have had my mother's peach cake.  I had forgotten all about this cake and really the only recollection I have of this peach cake, is "Oh snap, this is good."  I am historically known as an over-eater, and in most cases I can tell you, that if there is someone in the room that regrets having a 4th piece of cake, it's probably me.  However, that all being said, it is not my fault that it has been 14 years since I have had this glorious cake.

See, 14 years ago, we were in the Golden Years.  The Golden Years were a fond time in my life where my Mother, (hereto after referred to as Cinbad) and my sister Melissa (payback for that comment 18 years ago), lived in a house together - just the girls - before my sister went off to college and my mother found Frank the Tank (the greatest man to walk the earth, and modern day Jesus.)  These Golden Years felt like continual summer, spending endless hours outside past the point of pink and singing at the top of our lungs in our living room. During the Golden Years Melissa frequently requested peach cake. As this is a horrifyingly easy recipe, when Melissa requested, Cinbad delivered.  The last time I had this cake, I maybe had one SLIVER of it, because Melissa ate the entire cake. In one day.  Rest assured that the cake was banned from our girl’s house because even the smell afterward made Melissa gag.  Hence the reason I have forgotten all about this cake, only remembering that I liked it, until Melissa ate the entire thing and threw it up.  Cue the new name: BELLY ACHE PEACH CAKE. Hold your laughter, guys, I know its funny! So around 27 minutes after I put this cake in the oven, the smell filled the apartment and I immediately remembered what this cake tasted like. GLORY, that's what.  Sorry about the lack of pictures, I couldn’t keep Brian’s hands out of it before I even plated the damn thing. Speaking of Brian, stay tuned for reasons why he is no longer allowed in my kitchen, ever again.

If you mess this cake up, I will be embarrassed for you. It's that easy! It's not particularly beautiful or glamorous, but it is a darn good cake.

Belly Ache, Peach Cake
2 Eggs, beaten
2 cups sugar
2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon (feel free to add more, what the heck)
2 teaspoons baking soda
DEBATABLE: Mom says canned peaches, I say fresh.  The recipe calls for 1 16 or 20 oz. can of peaches drained and chopped, I say use fresh peaches and keep the juice.  If you are using canned peaches, do drain them.
1 stick of butter melted
Mix ingredients in the order listed.  Bake at 350 for around 55 minutes in a large pyrex or 13 X 9 inch pan.
Frosting
½ cup of sugar
½ cup evaporated milk
½ teaspoon vanilla
1 stick of butter
Cook over medium geat until mixture coats a spoon and pour while warm over the warm cake.

BOOM!  I hope you all roll over from peach cake coma with a glazed grin on your faces!  
Love,
Whit


No comments:

Post a Comment