Monday, January 3, 2011

If I had known then what I know now.

I don't know a lot about my grandmother.  If I had known how I would have missed her, I think I would have tried harder to remember the small things we did together.  All I do remember, is that she was a strong, patient and very loving grandmother.  She could quilt, although not much after I was born, and she encouraged me to pretend in play often.  We had tea parties. A lot.  I know her favorite bible verse was Romans 12 which consequently, is also mine.  It's about being living sacrifices, being humanitarians, helping others and leading by example. - Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. -

Her house always smelled like bacon and purfume, and home.

And she passed, before I had the chance to say goodbye.

But this Christmas, I was given reminders of her, things she used in her kitchen, and things I'll never look at without thinking of her. And I know, looking at this old cast iron mold, that today, I am more like her than I probably ever thought I would be.

Here's to Mabel - what a broad she was!

Cornbread


1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
3 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1 cup cheddar, grated
1/4 cup chopped scallions


Combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, combine the milk, eggs, and oil. With a wooden spoon, stir the wet ingredients into the dry until most of the lumps are dissolved. Mix in the grated Cheddar and the scallions, and allow the mixture to sit at room temperature for 20 minutes.




Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 by 13 by 2-inch baking pan.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan, and  bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.

And even though she may need to be reseasoned, it's my favorite cast iron thing I own.



 May you all, have these small reminders in the midst of such a season as this.

Love,

Whit

3 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post. I love Romans 12, and the reminder to be eternally minded. The corn bread looks delicious too:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful reminder of, and a lovely tribute to, your Grandmother. Very nice!

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that tribute. My MawMaw had a similar cast iron mold. My momma is hanging on to it for now. But that's just gorgeous cornbread. Good enough even for Mabel. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete