Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Happy Jew Years


On the ‘leventh day of turducken la bouchey said to me “Go on and stuff your chicken with cheese…”

(You think I can’t keep this up for 12 days? WATCH ME. I could out-rhyme a leprechaun.  Oh, leprechauns don’t rhyme? What the hell is a limerick then?  It doesn’t matter, this isn’t social studies.)

OH HAI guys!  First things first, Happy Jew Years for all my friendly jews out there!  Yep, it’s Rosh around here so there’s gonna be a little new years dinner at Mom and Dad’s tonight.  Here’s hoping Brian brings the rams horn, otherwise this celebration will be a complete bust in my book.  That’s the cool part about marrying someone who’s Jewish.  They have some different business goin’ on…seriously, I have to set an entire place setting for Elijah, when I KNOW he’s not coming?  We’ve never even met! What the flip!   Or the whole lamb shank thing? Sort of graphic for a dinner party, huh?  Also, this whole rams horn shtick... I know it’s the “holiday of trumpets”, but can’t we just be forward thinking here and use your trumpet from 8th grade? That poor ram didn’t do anything to you! Anywho.  I know we have the easter bunny and santa’s claws and all that business, but to me, ghosts, bloody legs and horns aren’t the easiest sell to toddlers across America.   Although it’s been a solid 22 years since I was a toddler.  I am TOTALLY out of the loop.

SO Happy New Years!  Hope it’s full of amazing things for everyone, Christians, Jews, and whatever the heck else you believe alike!   Last night I wanted to make something quick and easy, since it’s a pretty hectic work week for me (what, you thought I stayed home all day playing with cats?) and I knew that I really only had 1 big dinner in me this week.  I saved that big dinner for tonight, ‘cause nothing says eat your face off like a holiday.

This was a quick and easy chicken breast stuffed with tomatoes, mozzarella, basil and garlic.  I would have loved to butterfly the chicken breasts but they were a little thin for that, so I just wrapped them up like a pretty little present and secured them with a skewer.  (what! we are out of toothpicks!)  This literally is a 20 minute dinner.  Perfect when you want something fresh, light and quick.

Caprese Stuffed Chicken
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1/4 cup packed fresh basil leaves
1/3 cup fresh sliced tomato
2 garlic cloves, peeled
1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
Coarse salt and ground pepper
2 ounces mozzarella cheese, cut into slices
2 teaspoons olive oil

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil; set aside.

TO BUTTERFLY: With a paring knife, cut a 1-inch-long slit in thick side of each breast. Insert knife, and without enlarging opening, carefully work around inside to form a pocket (make sure you do not go through the other side).
TO WRAP: place the garlic, basil, mozzarella and tomatoes on the breast. Bring the two ends up to a point and skewer.



 Close pockets, using 2 to 3 toothpicks per breast (or a skewer, if you’re out); arrange on baking sheet. Rub with olive oil, and season generously with salt and pepper. Roast until well browned 25-30 minutes.

Ok children, take it easy on the manischewitz tonight!  I will leave you with our good friend Cutie over at the OG’s.   Poor gal, she’s got terrible taste!  She obviously isn’t quite the lush I am. 

Stay tuned for my attempt to not be blatantly offensive during Rosh Dinner.  It’s hard, I’m from Kentucky, and really guys, I don’t know any better…
Love,
Whit

 

5 comments:

  1. great presentation. I thought us Italianos were the only ones "capreseing" sp? anything. Looks devine. saving this one, thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I agree -- the presentation is lovely. Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the use of the skewers - they are really dramatic. The recipe looks fabulous. Thanks for sharing. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful looking recipe. Very unique!

    ReplyDelete