Friday, December 31, 2010

In the Bluegrass, and BEYOND!

For Christmas, my sister gave me a cookbook called 'Creating a Stir - In the Bluegrass and Beyond'.  (Buzz lightyear much?) It's a great idea, all the recipes are from Kentuckians and all the proceeds go to help Kentucky's children in need.

A double whammy of the heart and belly, which I appreciate.  Anyway, this book.  It's got some good ones.  I am not a salad person, did you know that?  I am guessing by the number of baked goods and sticks of butter used on this blog, you probably assumed that of me.

But, damn it, how the New Year approaches.  And damn it, how my wedding is 6 months away.  I had to make a salad.  But if I was gonna make one, this one would do just fine.

Bibb and Endive with Tarragon - Dijon Vinaigrette
adapted from Creating a Stir - In the Bluegrass and Beyond


1 head bibb lettuce
2 heads belgian endive
7 ounces chopped artichokes
1/2 crushed walnuts

Tarragon - Dijon Vinaigrette
1 garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons tarragon vinegar
(or 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar and 1 tablespoon fresh tarragon)
1/4 cup vegetable oil
Juice of 1 lemon

 Ya know, just whisk it.  Haven't you ever made a salad before?


It doesn't taste like butter, but much like mountain berry mist, it cools you off on a hot December day.

UGH with these RESOLUTIONS!

Love,

Whit

2 comments:

  1. This looks amazing. I love new ideas for salad dressings and the variety of greens in this one makes it look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it looks good! I'm a simple salad person, throw it all in bowl and add olive and salt : )

    ReplyDelete