Monday, December 6, 2010

Son, of a Brisket.

 You all know what Hannukah means.  It means you put a brisket in your slow cooker and you walk away. ( I know, I know, wouldn't we all prefer to cook this in the oven, however, I'm a workin' gal.  I don't have time for that business. So I slow cooker this bia.)

I am thinking about doing a week of slow cooker recipes just to show you how FREAKIN WONDERFUL it is to walk the door of your home and smell a dance of happiness as soon as you get there.  Magic in cooking happens between the 5th and 8th hour of cooking, I am convinced. 

It's like little fat fairies and food nymphs invade your kitchen while you were gone, doing all the work for you.  I also, when cooking meat for 8 hours, believe that less is more.  If I am eating brisket, I wanna taste meat! 

So I hope this makes it easy for you to get your Jew on, and make a brisket.  Rock on with your 8 crazy nights!

Brisket 

1 fresh brisket, about 4 pounds
1 1/2 cups water
1/4 cup ketchup
1 package dry onion soup mix
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon flour mixed with 3 tablespoons cold water
2 Carrots, roughly chopped
1 onion, roughly chopped
2 stalks of celery, roughly chopped.

Salt and Pepper your brisket well. Place brisket and chopped veggies in slow cooker. Combine water, ketchup, soup mix, Worcestershire sauce, spices, garlic and pepper; add to the slow cooker.

NOTE- IF YOU WANT TO ADD RED WINE HERE, I AM NOT JUDGING YOU.  In fact, it's probably a good idea...

Cover and cook on low for 8 hours. Remove brisket from the slow cooker. Skim fat from juices and transfer to a saucepan.

Walk in your door, and praise the Hannukah elves that just cooked your dinner while you were working away.
Ah, winter. You were made for slow cooked meat.

Love,

Whit


3 comments:

  1. Goodness gracious, I am 100% IN FAVOR of a slow cooker series! Tammy (my newly named slow cooker) is my favorite tool in the kitchen, and she makes my life so easy and my tummy so happy! That looks delicious! Let me know if you need some good slow cooker recipes to experiment with and give them the Whitney touch :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed with Kelley - what a great series! Some gals (like moi) just need a list of things to throw into a slow cooker and do all the work :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the slow cooker. Got me a bright candy apple red one on sale just last month! What an awesome brisket recipe. Looking forward to seeing more cuz with work these days I barely find time to eat some nights. Thanks Whitney!

    ReplyDelete